Learn About Temporary Auto Insurance in Canada

The process of acquiring temporary car insurance is different in every province. Here is a quick primer on how to find short-term insurance in some of Canada’s western provinces. If you have any further questions then please contact your local insurance agent or visit the links below. You can also read through our insurance articles, FAQs, and guides to learn more about driving in Canada.

British Columbia

If you are looking for insurance for a period of 1 to 15 days then you will need a Temporary Operation Permit (TOP) if you live in British Columbia. You can use your TOP to transport a vehicle to an auto mechanic shop for repairs, to get an AirCare test, or to transport your vehicle from one location to another. To learn more about Temporary Operation Permits visit the ICBC website.


You will have to contact your insurance provider to purchase temporary insurance if you live in Alberta. Some of these Albertan companies include the Alberta Motor Association, GP Car and Home, Aviva Auto Insurance, and Economical.


In Saskatchewan you need to purchase a Temporary Insurance Card (TIC) if you want to bring a vehicle into the province. The TIC must be purchased before you live Saskatchewan and you must also have a valid permit from an insurance provider in the jurisdiction where the vehicle is currently located. To learn more about in-transit permits in Saskatchewan please click here to visit the SGI website.


Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) has something called the Temporary Registration Permit. It allows you to purchase coverage for a short time if you have a specific need for insurance. This insurance is available for a period of up to 30 days and is valid in all of Canada as well as the continental USA. You can purchase these policies from MPI Customer Service Centres, MPI rural offices, and Autopac agents throughout Manitoba.


If you need a short-term insurance policy in Ontario then you will need to purchase a Temporary Vehicle Registration or a Special Permit. A Temporary Vehicle Registration gives you insurance for a period of up to ten days. Before you purchase the Temporary Vehicle Registration, the vehicle that has been sold must be registered in the new owner’s name.

We don’t currently have any information about temporary insurance in Quebec, Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, or the Territories.